Delivered by Disability Law Service
Universal Credit (UC) and Disabled Claimants – Intermediate level course
Delivered by Disability Law Service.
Date: Wednesday 31 August 2022
Time: 1.30pm – 4.30pm (including two 15 minute breaks)
Location: Via Zoom
There is a maximum of 20 places. These will initially be offered to people who are part of the Strengthening Voices Realising Rights (SVRR) project.
Who is this course for?
This course is for DDPO staff and volunteers who already have some experience of supporting Universal Credit claims.
The training will cover:
- Claims & payment issues
- The UC Calculation
- The disability elements of UC / Work Capability Assessment
- Mandatory Reconsiderations, appeals and complaints
The training will enable participants to:
- Support Disabled claimants with the UC application process
- Ensure claimants are receiving the correct elements of UC
- Understand how the UC assessment period works and how changes of circumstances affect the award
- Have an awareness of when and how a deduction can be made to a UC award in respect of a DWP or third-party debt
- Be able to identify which decisions are likely to be appealable.
- Help participants to identify whether to use a mandatory reconsideration/appeal, a complaint and/or a threat of judicial review.
Training delivered by Dami Owobamirin of Disability Law Service
How to book
To book a place, please click on the ‘Book your free ticket‘ button above. We will then confirm your booking and email you details of how to join the Zoom meeting.
You will be given a link to a feedback form at the session. Please complete the feedback form on the day if possible. Your feedback is required so that we can monitor and develop our training and briefings offer and to report to our funders.
What is a DDPO?
Please note this is an event for Deaf and Disabled People Organisations (DDPOs). DDPOs are organisations that are run and controlled by Deaf/Disabled people, with Deaf/Disabled people representing at least 75% of Trustees and over 50% of paid staff.
Please inform us of any access requirements at least 2 weeks in advance of the training or event
About the SVRR Project
The SVRR project is funded by Trust for London.
The Trust funds a number of DDPOS to assist them to increase their capacity to deliver information, advice and advocacy to Deaf and Disabled residents. The Trust also funds IL to support these DDPOs and a broader DDPO network where appropriate, to equip them with the practical skills, training, peer support and resources they need to improve and strengthen their advice provision.
For more information about the SVRR project click on the following link: SVRR About the Project