How can DDPOs make best use of Safeguarding procedures to support Deaf and Disabled victims of hate crime and other abuse.
How can DDPOs make best use of Safeguarding procedures to support Deaf and Disabled victims of hate crime and other abuse?
Safeguarding is an issue which DDPOs working on hate crime have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. Helping clients to keep as safe as possible is a key part of hate crime advocacy work. But how do we deal with a formal process which is based on the medical model of disability and labels some disabled people as ‘vulnerable adults’? How do we make safeguarding work and promote the rights of our clients?
- 11.oo Introductions, ground rules, aims of the day
- 11.15 What is Safeguarding? Presentation and discussion – including Definitions, What the law and London Adult Safeguarding Guidance say, What is a vulnerable adult? Child safeguarding
- 11.35 Questions and discussion
- 11.50 How do I know there is a problem? Spotting the signs of abuse or neglect in adults and children: discussion in groups
- 12.05 Coffee break
- 12.15 When it is necessary to make a safeguarding referral? How do we raise an alert/ make a referral?
- 12.35 Questions and discussion
- 13.00 Lunch
- 13.45 Case study: discussion in groups
- 14.15 Discussion of a case study: how do we use Safeguarding to support the person in the case study?
- 14.40 Feedback and discussion
- 14.50 Coffee break
- 15.00 Risks and dilemmas for DDPOs: making sure Safeguarding helps keep the disabled person safe and does not increase the risk
- 15.20 Child Safeguarding: what is different?
- 15.50 Recap, closing comments and evaluation
- 16.00 Close
Ruth Bashall, Stay Safe East and London DDPO Hate Crime Partnership
Who is this event for?
These meetings are open to all DDPOs interested in Hate Crime against Disabled people and to members of the CATCH Partnership (Community Alliance to Combat Hate)
For more information please contact email@example.com
If you require British Sign Language interpreters or have other access or communication requirements, please let us know asap!