Shielding paused nationally from 1 April 2021
Useful information and advice on what to do if you have been shielding.
The Government paused shielding nationally from 1 April 2021.
Below is a list of useful information and advice on what to do if you have been shielding.
Work and Finance
- Statutory Sick Pay and Employment and Support Allowance for shielding ended on 1 April 2021.
- Employers should be able to tell you what measures and steps they have put in place to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 if you are asked to return to work.
- Furlough under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and the Self-employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) has been extended to 30th September, so you can request to be placed on furlough or the self-employment support scheme.
Access to Healthcare, Medicine and Vaccines
- You should have been offered your first vaccine dose. If not, contact your GP to book your first dose of the vaccine.
- It is safe to receive healthcare through the NHS, so you should go to appointments as usual.
- The NHS Volunteer Responders programme is available to collect and deliver shopping, medication and essential supplies. Call 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm, 7 days a week to self-refer or visit www.nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk for further information.
- Social care support can continue to take place with safety measures in line with social distancing guidelines.
- Priority access to supermarket delivery slots will remain in place until 21st June.
- If you are yet to register for a shielding support, please do so online by 31st March through the following link: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-shielding-support If you need more support after 31st March, please contact your local council or use the following link: http://www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-support
- You can continue to form or maintain existing support bubbles and childcare bubbles.
- General Guidance and Support around Coronavirus https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- Advice for people who are at higher risk from Coronavirus https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/advice-for-people-at-high-risk/
- Guidance on Shielding and Protecting CEVs from Covid19 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19
- Find out what support you can get if you are affected by Coronavirus. https://www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-support
- COVID-19 Work and Financial Support. https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus/worker-support
- What to do if you are already receiving benefits? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-what-to-do-if-youre-already-getting-benefits
- What do you if you were employed but have lost your job? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-what-to-do-if-you-were-employed-and-have-lost-your-job
- What to do if you are employed but cannot work? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-what-to-do-if-youre-employed-and-cannot-work
- Check if you can claim wage costs through Coronavirus wage retention scheme (Furlough) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme
- Guidance for Self-Employed individuals who are getting less work or no work due to Covid-19 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-what-to-do-if-youre-self-employed-and-getting-less-work-or-no-work
- Check if you are eligible for the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) fourth grant. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-employment-income-support-scheme-grant-extension
- Defer Self-Assessment Payments due to Covid 19 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/defer-your-self-assessment-payment-on-account-due-to-coronavirus-covid-19
- Claiming Financial Support under the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/test-and-trace-support-payment-scheme-claiming-financial-support/claiming-financial-support-under-the-test-and-trace-support-payment-scheme
Employment Rights and Workplace Safety
- Guidance on work absences due to coronavirus (COVID- 19) including unfair dismissal. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/if-you-need-to-self-isolate-or-cannot-attend-work-due-to-coronavirus
- Redundancy: Your Rights https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae
- Dismissal: Your Rights https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed
- Coronavirus: advice for employers and employees (ACAS) https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus
- Guidance on how to work safely and make a workplace Covid secure – Safer Working workplace-specific guides https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance on making workplaces Covid secure https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/
Other household support
- Registering for Support if you are clinically extremely vulnerable to the Coronavirus (LA support and priority access to supermarket deliveries). https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-shielding-support
- Get Local Authority Coronavirus help with living costs, food, essentials and support for your business https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-local-help
- Help and Support if your business is affected by Coronavirus https://www.gov.uk/guidance/help-and-support-if-your-business-is-affected-by-coronavirus-covid-19
- Claim for support through the Covid Winter Grant Scheme https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-winter-grant-scheme/covid-winter-grant-scheme-guidance-for-local-councils
- Mortgage and payment holidays for credit products. https://www.fca.org.uk/coronavirus-support
- COVID 19: Guidance for Local Authorities, tenants and landlords https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-and-renting-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities
You can download this information as a word document here: Shielding Guidance Information Sheet 1 April 2021