Safety Net – People First need someone to join our team. We want to employ a Self-Advocacy Coordinator to work with us for one day (7.5 hours) a week. Self Advocacy is when people speak up for themselves.
- Closing date for applications: 11 December 2018
- Contact phone: 020 8748 5168 ext 549
- Contact email: email@example.com
Safety Net – People First need someone to join our team. We want to employ a Self- Advocacy Coordinator to work with us for one day (7 1⁄2 hours) a week.
Safety Net – People First is a Disabled People’s Organisation for people with learning disabilities. Being a Disabled People’s Organisation means that Disabled people run and control it.
We work in Hammersmith and Fulham.
Our goals are:
1. Access, Rights and Respect – We stand up for the rights of people with learning disabilities – we want to change people’s attitudes and get Disabled people’s voices heard and respected.
2. Choice and Control – We show others that people with learning disabilities are able to make their own choices.
3. Reducing Isolation – We want people with learning disabilities to be active in their community and have fun. This will break down isolation and make things safer and better for everyone.
The self-advocacy service supports people with a learning disability to speak up and have a say in our lives.
The Self-Advocacy Coordinator will
• organise self-advocacy meetings, held every two weeks on a Tuesday
• support members to take part
• make accessible information
• make sure as many people know about the service as possible
• write reports to say how well we are doing
Rate of pay:£25,000 pro rata (actual pay is £5000 per year)
Hours: 7 1⁄2 hours a week
Responsible to: Safety Net – People First CEO
Period: Until March 2021, subject to funding
Office: We are currently based in Hammersmith. We plan to move to another office somewhere in Hammersmith and Fulham in 2019.
We want an enthusiastic person. We want someone who is excited by us and what we do!
• Good communication and organising skills
• A good understanding of what self-advocacy is
• To understand the value of Disabled People’s Organisations
• Knowledge of human rights
• An understanding of the day to day barriers faced by people with learning disabilities
You need to be able to get to Hammersmith and Fulham and to travel around during your work.
If you need support in order to do the job, we can support you to make an application to Access to Work.
To apply, you need to tell us about the skills and experience that you have that means you can do this job.
You can apply by video or in writing. If you use writing, please only use up to two sides of A4 paper.
In your application don’t assume we know you. Tell us about:
• how you can do the job
• the skills you have
• any experience that shows that you can do the job
Please feel free to get in touch before you apply. Contact Roisin Rodney, Safety Net – People First CEO. This is not part of the application. It is a chance to find out more about us.
phone: 020 8748 5168 ask for extension 549
When you have put together your application please send it to us by email or by post.
post: Safety Net – People First, 65 Aspenlea Rd, 2nd floor, London W6 8LH
You need to send us your application by Monday 11th December, 2018. Applications must be received by 5pm.
The Safety Net – People First trustees will look at all the applications. We will choose to meet some people to talk with them about the job.These meetings will be on the 13th or 14th December.