Putting Power into Participation – focus group 20 September
This workshop will explore ways in which people with lived experience of using services might directly challenge policy decisions that affect them.
- Date: 20 September 2019
- Start time: 11.00am
- End time: 3.00pm
- Price: Optional
- Venue: Voluntary Action Islington
- Address: 200a Pentonville Road, London N1 9JP
- Contact phone: 07956 424511
- Contact email: email@example.com
Shaping Our Lives and the University of Essex are looking for people with lived experience of using services to take part in a focus group in London on Friday 20th September.
The Putting Power into Participation focus group is to look at findings from research completed by the University of Essex. They want to find out about how involvement and participation can lead to direct policy change.
Involvement activity with people with lived experience of using services is often done within current policy frameworks. This can reduce the authority and usefulness of service user views, undermining their contribution.
Researchers at the University of Essex want to:
- encourage more democratic and less tokenistic involvement;
- widen the diversity of participation;
- enable service user-led organisations to challenge policy directly.
This workshop will explore ways in which service users might be enabled to directly challenge policy decisions that affect them. The emphasis will be on identifying processes in and around participative democracy.
The workshop is scheduled to coincide with a range of publications:
- Stigma and mental health: exploring potential models to enhance opportunities for a parity of participation;
- Questioning the Patient Participation Imperative;
- Silencing Patients.
Details of the focus group:
Date: Friday 20th September 2019
Time: 11am to 3pm
Venue: Voluntary Action Islington, 200a Pentonville Road, London N1 9JP
Refreshments and a light lunch is provided.
Travel and support: Reasonable travel and support costs will be funded.
Involvement payment: There is an involvement payment of £25 for those people who wish to accept it.
If you want to attend, please contact Becki Meakin at Shaping Our Lives on
07956 424511 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Places are limited for this event and will be given on a first come basis.