DeafLondon works to improve the future for deaf people by running training, campaigning for changes in the law, and bringing together people who want to see deaf people in charge of their own lives.
Boroughs this organisation works in
About this organisation
Who we are:
DeafLondon are an organisation working for the interests of the deaf community. We are a team of deaf and hearing people working together to improve the future for deaf people. We do this by running training programs, campaigning for changes in the law, and bringing together people who want to see deaf people in charge of their own lives.
1. In empowering deaf people to create change for themselves.
2. Policy decisions affecting deaf people should be taken by deaf people themselves.
3. Deaf people should be enabled take responsibility and control over their own lives.
4. Deaf people should be able to achieve their full language potential.
Guided by our beliefs, we will aim to achieve:
1. A continuing programme of training and education for deaf people.
2. A deaf-led assessment unit within Access to Work (AtW).
3. Changes in the law.
i. The adoption of British Sign Language (BSL) as a minority language
ii. The creation of a BSL Act
4. Changes in the way BSL is used in education.
i. BSL as a GCSE
ii. The establishment of a formal language assessment process for deaf children aged 4-11years.
iii. The adoption of the bilingual model of education.
• We will create evidence based policy arguments arising from these beliefs and use these as a basis for campaigning.