Stop Benefit Sanctions now
We have compiled evidence on how benefit sanctions are harmful for Deaf and Disabled people. We are calling on the government to stop sanctions now.
We are calling for benefit sanctions to be abolished for Deaf and Disabled people as a matter of urgency. We also recommend that sanctions end for all people.
We believe there is ample evidence to show that conditionality and sanctions are counterproductive in moving people towards employment and instead cause debt, hunger and distress and in some cases destitution. These outcomes are particularly acute for Deaf and Disabled people.
In this briefing we compiled this evidence to support our call for stopping sanctions now. We included evidence from:
- Inquiry reports by House of Commons (HoC) select committees and an All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG)
- Research by universities and charities
- Statements by charities and other organisations
We also show that there is a lack of evidence that sanctions are effective, this includes evidence from:
- The National Audit Office
- The Public Accounts Committee
- Research commissioned by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
You can download our full briefing here.