Disability Hate Crime support during the coronavirus emergency
Sources of information and advice for victims of Disability Hate Crime during the current emergency
During the current emergency it is vital that Deaf and Disabled people who are victims of hate crime continue to receive support.
We have put together the following list of resources to help advice services:
- Inclusion London have produced a guide on supporting victims of hate crime. The guide and template letters are available at https://www.disabilityjustice.org.uk/take-action/hate-crime/
- The government’s page on domestic abuse includes links to organisations that can help and provide advice for advocates. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/domestic-abuse-how-to-get-help
- Victim support are providing a live chat service: 24/7 Supportline: 08 08 16 89 111 and online My Support Space for victims of crime including domestic abuse.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) victim and witness services. Information on accessing victim and witness support services. This guidance has been issued by the UK Government who recognise that accessing Victim and Witness Services has been challenging during COVID19.
- Respond Advocacy and Support for Young Women with Autism or Learning Disabilities-Gender Based Violence Service. https://respond.org.uk/what-we-do/ Respond is a charity that supports adults and children with learning disabilities and/or autism who have experienced abuse and trauma, mainly through psychotherapy, advocacy and campaigning. As part of the ISVA service, there is a Young Women’s Specialist Advocate to support young women and girls (age 13 to 25) with learning disabilities or autism (or both) who are victims/survivors of gender-based violence. Due to the current Covid-19 crisis, Respond launched an online chat service to support young women from 18 to 25 (who have a LD, ASD or both). The chat is for any young women at risk of violence, feel isolated or just want to reach out to someone about their concerns. This service will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 4pm. For more information or to refer: Contact Eliana Riccardi, Young Women’s Specialist Advocate M: 07599673249 firstname.lastname@example.org