EHRC legal aid for victims of discrimination inquiry
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has launched an inquiry to look at whether legal aid enables people who raise a discrimination complaint in England and Wales to get justice.
Focus of the inquiry
The inquiry will look at whether legal aid for discrimination cases provides effective access to justice for people who have suffered discrimination. It will look at:
- how discrimination cases are funded by legal aid
- how many people receive legal aid funding for discrimination claims
- whether there are barriers to accessing legal aid
- whether some people experience specific difficulties in accessing legal aid
- the operation of the telephone service as the access point for most discrimination advice
- if legal aid provides effective access to justice for people who complain of discrimination
- whether improvements could be made to reduce barriers and improve access to justice
The EHRC’s findings and recommendations will inform the UK government’s review of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (LASPO).
More information is available at: